Rehabilitation Institute of Southern California (RIO) was founded in 1950 by a group of concerned parents who wanted to provide therapy services for their children with special needs. Services were provided in a small farmhouse on 6 acres of avocado fields in the city of Orange. As the need for RIO’s services grew, the organization expanded and more programs were added.
Throughout the decades, RIO’s Orange campus has expanded to over 75,000 square feet, which includes an 8,300 square foot playground, indoor therapeutic pool, and multiple adult and pediatric therapy gyms.
In November 1996, RIO opened its 2nd campus in Fullerton, CA. This 17,000 square foot building houses the Child Development Program, Transitional Adult Program, and Community-Based Adult Services.